[opendtv] Re: NBC Universal Wraps $6 Billion Upfront | Special Report: TV Upfront - Advertising Age

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:11:10 -0400

On Jul 20, 2015, at 8:29 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

No, Craig. This is what you said:

Advertisers are primarily buying the linear streaming audience.

And then you went on to describe this C3 business, almost as if you were
continuing to make that point:

In the C3 window some of the ads that aired on the network
broadcast remain.

The fact that in these first 3 days, ads cost the same amount as in the
original linear stream, disproves your initial comment.

Where did you come up with that factoid?

The simple fact is, companies that buy ad minutes are aware enough of the
value of VOD viewership that they are already willing to pay the same amount,
at least for 3 days.

I am not sure this is the case. I believe that the ads for the linear streams
are sold separately from the catch-up streams. Nielsen includes DVR viewing
with the linear ratings, but not the catch-up streams. I believe the networks
offer bundles that include both the linear, C3, and C-7 ads.

The linear audience is in steady decline, and likely to continue that way
long term.

Perhaps. Some shows still attract huge audiences for the linear streams.
Obviously, if people consume more streaming shows then something has to give -
either overall viewing increases or linear viewing declines.

As for the long term, it may be better to wait and see how the linear channels
adapt to the changing market. For example, I've seen several articles
suggesting that Reality TV has run its course...

YEAH!

Perhaps the broadcast networks will start producing more original shows that
are worth watching.

Aside from sports, where the fans worry about getting that score before they
see the game, the linear audience is luddites and/or people who think the VOD
option is "inconvenient." VOD is only "inconvenient" if it is poorly designed.

There is a place for both.