[opendtv] Re: NAB Showcases Mobile DTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:00:39 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I thought the equalizer chips potentially could use a lot
> of power, and that's what I was worried about.  And decoding
> the video potentially can use a fair amount of CPU power.  But
> just demuxing a transport stream is a fairly light weight task
> easily done in software even on 10 year old PC's.  I don't see
> the worry there compared with the other.

The new LG receiver chip LG2161R:

http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=13652

seems to be good for "up to" 4 hours, or "typical" 3 1/2 hours, of TV viewing
in a GSM or CDMA cell phone.

"The new LG2161R is a system-on-chip architecture that fully supports the
specification of the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) A/153 mobile
DTV standard with the capability of receiving mobile TV broadcasts in both the
UHF and VHF bands. With improved channel changing speed from earlier chipsets,
the LG2161R also features enhanced reception performance and like its
predecessors is extraordinarily efficient - allowing a typical cell phone
viewer to watch more than 3.5 hours of programming on a single battery charge."

Samsung makes something similar, but I didn't find it just now.

Then, here's a Fovu STB for ATSC M/H, but it seems to be designed for
automotive installations? Weird. Looks like a brand new product from Korea, and
they are looking for a US distributor:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/108321646/ATSC_M_H_Digital_TV_Receiver.html

This Storm USB dongle, also from Korea, is also battery-friendly, drawing a max
of 140 mA, or 80 mA in power saving mode:

http://www.dtvinteractive.com/storm.com/atsc-mh_usb_dongle_receiver/sub2/sub2_1.html

Here's another receiver for automotive applications, from China:

http://www.ec21.com/product-details/ATSC-Box-Car-DTV-Digigital--4124868.html

The automotive receivers don't have the power restrictions of the handsets,
obviously, but I think it's safe to say that ATSC M/H receivers can be used in
small handheld appliances, without having to carry a separate battery pack in a
backpack.