[opendtv] Re: NAB Showcases Mobile DTV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:10:36 -0400

I'm too lazy to answer the exact question, but power draw should be quite small.

Lazy or just beyond your ability to address since few if any of us know how much power these receiver chips will draw. The first gen chips we have seen are power pigs. Power cycling is not a huge benefit as you must monitor the entire stream to find the segments you need.

The larger problem is the complexity of the receiver, especially the equalizers needed to make this scheme work.

The good news is that most people only need to access short bursts of video content today on their smart phones and other mobile receivers. The bad news is that the broadcast model does not fit well with what people want/need. Access on demand is what the market wants and the Internet provides. This can be done with broadcast using local caching to update services to which the mobile device "subscribes." Thus a receiver could be trained to cache a broadcast weather report or new headlines...