[opendtv] Re: NAB Dinner Update

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:08:06 -0400

At 10:41 AM -0700 4/19/08, John Willkie wrote:
Craig was there, telling (while he was awake) of his new business enterprise. He never did explain about the propane angle, and he kept falling asleep towards the end.

A combination of the normal narcolepsy i suffer from after eating a great meal, and staying up the night before playing pool til 4 am. But I wan not really asleep, just listening...

;-)

And yes, I did announce my retirement from the broadcast industry, although i will still write for BE until the new venture gets some legs under it.

And for those who don't know what that new venture is yet, while I was in Vagas, our offer for a used 10 barrel brewing system was accepted. If all goes well, the Swamphead Brewing Company should be producing commercial microbrews by this fall.

This was my 30th consecutive NAB, which i believe should entitle me to retirement. Given the sad state of affairs in this industry, and the fact that many of my peers are happily ready to retire after a career in broadcasting, it seems like the right thing to do. It is unfortunate, but it looks like OTA broadcasting may retire along with those of us who helped to make it happen. The young bloods, like Dan Grimes, have moved into a new future, preparing the next generation of content producers for a very different media landscape.

Now I am faced with a difficult decision. Do I send the bucks to return to NAB next year, or use the money to become an "exhibitor" at the Great American Beer Festival?