[opendtv] NAB Dinner Update

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:41:36 -0700

Well, we had our dinner, with a much bigger turn out than the last time I
attended.

When we walked into Nora's, Oscar Goodman the (possibly ex-) mob lawyer who
is the mayor of Las Vegas was dining in the front of the main room.  We had
the semi-private room in the rear.

Steve Lampen not only picked the choice spot, he picked up the check.  And,
we did talk of wire and cable through the course of the evening.

Craig was there, telling (while he was awake) of his new business
enterprise.  He never did explain about the propane angle, and he kept
falling asleep towards the end.

Dave Goodman, from the Pro Audio list, was introduced to us.

Dan Grimes talked of the $90 million dollar construction project that he's
working on for UNLV, and got much feedback about wiring issues and how they
relate to his systems integrator(s).

Bill Hogan, now of Panasonic, attended, as did Richard Hollandsworth and his
wife, whose name I think is Joanne.  Bill told of the first NAB he attended
- in 1968.

I could only offer up the story of the Mexican Army's midnight visit to my
apartment building (and quarters), only to cart off the maintenance man, who
they made do calisthenics for 10 minutes, then released.  The take away
image: two Mexican Army guys with assault rifles, stomping around my small
room, looking at the somewhat impressive array of computers, and taking the
adult DVD-ROM out of window-stop mode, and asking me to play it, while they
asked me questions.

Eric Petajan, CTO of VectorMax wasn't really able to get many words in.

Several (mostly lurkers) on OpenDTV gave their regrets.

Bert's name did come up, in passing, at least twice.  Next year, we need to
come up with a slush fund to sponsor his NAB attendance.  We just have to
get Snell & Willcox to pay for it, and I'm sure a t/roast would boost NAB
attendance.

Thanks for the choice of restaurants, Steve, and even more thanks for
covering the check.

Steve

John Willkie jwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.EtherGuidesystems.com / www.OurEPG.com

Skype jmwillkie / Lab ++52 664 290-7526 / Mobile +1 619 770-5760