[opendtv] Re: More Than 50% Of All Video Views On Mobile Devices? The Time Is Now, Ooyala Says 06/25/2015

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 23:00:59 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

But this article certainly suggests that PCs are fading fast as
mobile screens take over.

Where does it suggest this, Craig? This is what the article actually suggests
is entirely the opposite:

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/252749/more-than-50-of-all-video-views-on-mobile-devices.html

. . .

In short, rather than remember the stats, it would probably be just as useful
to concede that all kinds of video is consumed on all kinds of devices, so plan
for all of them just about the same, as if mobile has the same viewer profile
as every other device.

But you don't need my lecture. Take it from Ooyala's report authors, instead,
who write:

"Publishers, broadcasters and service providers should view this as a critical
juncture, the point where a majority - rather than a plurality - of online
video views occur on mobile devices. Some operators have taken tactical steps
to address the broad consumer trends that are growing mobile video - like
pushing more content over the top, creating better user interfaces and
improving mobile monetization."

I'd say, "so plan for all of them just about the same" **hardly** equates to
"PCs fading fast."

What I found more interesting is the trend toward watching longer
videos on mobile screens, especially tablets, which are becoming
preferred personal screens used both in the home and when mobile.

And yet here again, the PC beats them all:

"Keeping them ingesting is the trick, as other parts of this report note. For
right now, at least, ad completion rates for online videos from broadcasters
are very high: 90% on PCs, 89% for tablets and 79% for mobile devices. Ooyala
says that's because most of that viewing is long form, and viewers recognize
they've got to stand by for the advertisements. On the other hand,
non-broadcast publishers don't fare as well: Their completion rates are 73% for
PC, 71% for mobile, and 67% for tablets."

I'd say that what is changing are tablets. Tablets are becoming laptop PCs, in
effect, rather than being mostly just readers, as they were initially. That
line is getting blurred.

The report also suggests that the content owners and MVPDs are
moving in the right direction with TV Everywhere.

It says nothing about TVE. This is what it actually says:

"They're not done yet: 'But with many providers still waiting on the sidelines
of the OTT game, it's become increasingly obvious that in large part, the
industry is lagging in execution of mobile initiatives. As our data shows, the
audience is clearly ready and waiting for more. Any long-term plan should
address quality of delivery, service and user experience, improved and expanded
search and discovery and universal monetization strategies.'"

If it mentions anything, that would be OTT sites. Not MVPDs, nor TVE (which is
the same thing). If the article suggests anything, it would be that the MVPDs
should get on with it, and become OTT sites more quickly.

Why you seem to believe that ATSC is addressing on demand
emphatically is a bit puzzling.

Not if you actually read this stuff, Craig, rather than letting your
imagination rewrite what's written. ATSC 3.0 is all about on demand, about
offering access to any kind of information on demand (i.e. not just tuning a
broadcast channel), about personalization. Exactly what users of PCs and
handheld devices have come to expect, and exactly what broadcast cannot provide.

Building out the infrastructure to allow the use of the
remaining broadcast spectrum for on demand unicasts is the
most expensive use case

And I don't even disagree with that comment. But just writing that down does
not give you the privilege of reinventing ATSC 3.0. That's the problem. It
would be far more honest to say you don't believe ATSC 3.0 can achieve what it
claims. But to ignore what ATSC 3.0 claims, and make up some other definition
of ATSC 3.0, is not okay.

Matter of fact, my position too has always been one of skepticism. For one
thing, as I said already, a cell network does not seem compatible with FOTA
service. For another, it might make more sense for broadcasters to simply
piggyback on existing 2-way wireless nets, as much as they have been doing on
wired broadband. And let the existing broadcast standard run its course. It's
still quite popular after all, thanks to cord cutting, so a big change now
might just alienate everyone using it?