[opendtv] Re: Math of oversampling

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:26:42 -0500

Don Munsil wrote:

> Heck, I do demos of DVD vs. DVHS on my high-resolution projector at home,
> and most folks can't see the difference when I switch between HD and SD on
> the same film. I see it clearly, and usually if I point out small details
> (wisps of hair, facial lines, etc.), people can start to tell the
> difference. But invariably people are unimpressed by the benefits of HD
> resolution. Even I have to admit that the difference is not as huge as I had
> hoped.

It depends on the source material. Theatrical films are very poor source
material for telling HDTV from SDTV (DVD is SDTV). Nevertheless it is
very very easy to tell the difference on a good HD, even at 40 inches,
which is what I own. Good means "not CRT" ... LCD or LCOS or DLP or true
HD Plasma. That's not to say that really really good 480p, originally
made with true HD or 480p TV cameras is not quite good ... as was shown
by Fox before they went true HDTV.

The true test is not movies ... it is sports shot live on 720p or 1080i,
Leno, or the better ABC HDTV sitcoms. There the difference between
480p and true HD is quite obvious, and after a while of being used
to true HD, DVDs and other 480i material becomes distressingly
poor. Fox's network upconverts to 720p are not distressingly poor,
on a 720p TV, just not "great". Yes, I realize that this is your
point. But remember that we are talking upconverts done once,
by Fox network itself, converted to MPEG at Fox network, and sent
out by the stations as those bits, using Fox's splicer system. This
is NOT at this state of the art the same as sending out 480p
MPEG.

Doug McDonald