[opendtv] NAB Dinner and Lunch

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:45:06 -0700

Even though I didn't RSVP for either the dinner or lunch at NAB, I managed to
show up to both.
Craig, Steve Lampen of Belden and I showed up at the appointed time for dinner.
 We decamped for Quinta Belina (5th Belina) "Gourmet" Mexican Restaurant
somewhat southwest of the Strip.  A pleasant and sprited time was had by all.
I had the priviledge of learning much detail about Craig's history and depth
with digital television systems and got to know Steve and Belden better -- the
only time that Steve and I had ever talked at length was going to the "Field of
Dreams" event at HPA 2004.

And folks, you missed not only a good meal and time, but a free mail.  Thanks
to Steve and Belden (again) for picking up the tab.

 The next day, I had no deep intention of attending the luncheon.  I had just
retrieved a dose of my daily drug -- the Wall Street Journal -- from the Hilton
gift shop after shaking off an idiot who wanted to pay me $675 for a
programming assignment that I bid $9,000 on.  He thought that just because I
live in Tijuana, that he could hire me on the cheap.  I live in Tijuana because
I can survive there on next to nothing in between paying consulting and
programming assignments. If a half-day consulting assignment doesn't pay at
least $800, I work on my own projects.

Right before I shook off the a-hole, I realized it was 12:20, and I had missed
the lunch.  Just out of the corner of my eye, I espied Bill Hogan and then
Craig.  One of them must have been carrying a gun, because somehow I ended up
supping with them and another list member who mostly lurks hereabouts but for
some reason wanted to meet me.

I was prepared to be roasted both times, but it didn't happen at this lunch
either.  Heck, we mostly agreed upon things.  I even heard Craig using one of
my arguments, and I found myself offering up as mine a few of his.

Craig even picked up the tab for all of us!  Who says there is no such thing as
a free lunch (or dinner)?  Thanks again, Craig.

On my way home on Friday, I told the mentor who had covered my transportation
and lodging bills at NAB of a new product that his firm should offer.  It took
ten minutes to explain what the product should have, and he plans to make it.
Assuming that comes to pass, I'll get paid $1,000 for what I told him, and
he'll end up being the second source for an item that I didn't realize that I
needed to include in my EtherGuide Ferret PSIP test and measurement system
until I talked to Mark (Mr DTV) Aitken.