[opendtv] Re: Math of oversampling

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:29:27 -0700

I just went through this exercise on my current project (a dual-channel
SD MPEG-2 encoder). The encoder is always configured for 544x480
resolution. The customer was unhappy (their specification was +/- 1 db
to 3.75 MHz) with our default polyphase filter frequency response, since
it was set fairly soft to maximize coding efficiency.
We promptly sent them a new set of filter taps that met the 3.75 MHz
specification. They came back and requested an even flatter filter
response. Of course, we sent them another tap set.

I thought for sure that they would chose the second tap set since it
"measured" better. However, they chose the first tap set instead. This
led me to believe that they actually evaluated the filters with moving
images and selected the tap set that was visually more pleasing
(and still within specification).

Ron