[opendtv] Re: Market forces

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 23:45:01 +0000

Dan Grimes wrote:

> So will the need for encryption prop up the argument for an STB,
> at least for the current generation of gear?  I suppose one can
> put a full STB function in the TV, but is that really practical
> for different MVPDs and systems?

Total a la carte, as in channel by channel, is probably going to be an
administrative nightmare no matter what. But as to can it be done, seems to me,
if you use existing IP mechanisms for key exchange, encryption, and
distribution, and mirrored servers at ISP network edges, multicast or unicast
controlled access should be quite doable. This is done in any web browser, so I
can't see why a connected TV product would have special difficulties?

The only "need" for proprietary STBs arises because certain parties see a
monetary advantage to themselves. Internet Protocols have had the advantage of
being two-way right from the start. So the excuses like those concerning the
original CableCard go out the window.