[opendtv] Re: Market forces

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 07:08:16 -0400

On Jun 4, 2013, at 7:45 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Total a la carte, as in channel by channel, is probably going to be an
> administrative nightmare no matter what. But as to can it be done, seems to
> me, if you use existing IP mechanisms for key exchange, encryption, and
> distribution, and mirrored servers at ISP network edges, multicast or unicast
> controlled access should be quite doable. This is done in any web browser, so
> I can't see why a connected TV product would have special difficulties?

The technology for an all digital system is relatively straight forward,
regardless of the delivery infrastructure. Clearly IP tools are available if
the network is IP based. But any two way system can do it on demand, and one
way systems (i.e. DBS) can do it via local caching of transactions, which are
then collected when the STB is polled via the phone connection. This is done
now for PPV events on DBS systems, but DOES require that the phone connection
be hooked up. It may also be possible to add WiFi to DBS STBs to provide the
return channel for transactions in homes that have WiFi internet.

> The only "need" for proprietary STBs arises because certain parties see a
> monetary advantage to themselves. Internet Protocols have had the advantage
> of being two-way right from the start. So the excuses like those concerning
> the original CableCard go out the window.

Nothing is going to change the proprietary nature of cable and DBS STBs - the
FCC has totally dropped the ball on this and shows no signs of changing
direction.

As a champion of OTT video via the Internet, I would think Bert would
understand that the problem is not the cable and DBS systems per se, but the
exclusivity of the deals that allow content providers to use these systems to
force the public to buy bundles of programming that are exclusive to the MVPD
systems.

IF we move to ala carte on MVPD systems, it is only a small step to offering
the same channel at a similar price via an OTT subscription.