[opendtv] Re: Market forces

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:20:25 -0700

While reading this...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/how-big-cable-killed-the-open-set-top-box-and-what-to-do-about-it/

   How Big Cable killed the open set-top box—and what to do about it
   Researcher argues the FCC's set-top box strategy is doomed to failure.

..it dawned on me that the FCC will have to revoke it's rules for keeping
basic cable packages unencrypted IF it forces ala carte.  It seems to me
that they would need to encrypt all channels and then send a code to a
set-top box to decrypt the channels one pays for.  From a physics level,
it would be impractical if not impossible to filter the channels. Besides,
with multiple channels being delivered in a single carrier, it would still
need to be controlled in the digital domain.  So basically, in order to
implement ala carte, there would have to be full encryption, correct?  Or
is there another technology that would allow for ala carte?

So will the need for encryption prop up the argument for an STB, at least
for the current generation of gear?  I suppose one can put a full STB
function in the TV, but is that really practical for different MVPDs and
systems?

Dan