[opendtv] Re: MPEG Transport Streams

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:49:41 -0400

John Willkie wrote:

> because they conform to the specifications in ISO/IEC 13818-1 (MPEG-2
> systems), which defines the packet size (188 or 204, but really only 188),
> the form of the ts header, the adaptation field control, the payload
> elements, the definition of the elementary streams, the form of the private
> table section, and the form of the MPEG-2 Program Specific Information
> (Program Association Table and Program Map Table instances).
>
> MPEG-4 defines improvements to some aspects of MPEG-2, but doesn't provide
> for a new transport stream format.
>
> John Willkie

A few years ago I paid about $135 to download a copy of the
13818-1 MPEG-2 System doc.  IIRC the corresponding MPEG-4 doc is
14496-1 MPEG-4 Systems, though I might not have the name quite
right.  When I went to purchase that one I found the price had
doubled or tripled, so I don't have it.  I may have a pre-approval
copy around somewhere, dunno.

- Tom