[opendtv] Re: MIMO

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 01:43:32 -0700

Google for "Lindenblad antenna".

Ron

John Shutt wrote:

Dale,

How is it possible to have a circularly polarized omnidirectional signal? You can have a dual horizontal and vertical polarized high power UHF television transmission antenna, which is what passes for "CP" in the broadcast world, (or if the power ratio is not 1:1 it is called "elliptical" as you correctly pointed out,) but you never see a spec in the Dielectric or Andrews (R.I.P) catalogs for a "Left Hand" or "Right Hand" circular polarization of their UHF antennas. They just list the horizontal to vertical ratio.

DBS uses a true circular polarization, as does some forms of radar, but in both cases the radiation is highly directional.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>

This is actually known as elliptical polarization. Many antenna do use a
degree of elliptical Pol. and off handedly it is sometimes called CP.
However, there are also a number of true CP installations, though I believe
that elliptical is clearly in the majority and they do also improve
reception but to a lesser degree. It's an economic trade off.