[opendtv] Re: Low-Power KAXT Goes Digital With 20 Sub-Channels Available

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 19:26:37 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

>> 2. MANY DBS channels are coded at leas than
>> 3.6 Mbps, the ABR for five channels in an
>> ATSC multiplex.
>
> The 'Western' and 'Romance' movie channels that
> look just like VHS are good examples.

I've found the quality to be very variable.

We have Ch 7-3 that transmits RTN (retro TV network), where waht you describe
certainly applies. My guess is that they are using analog tapes of the shows.
Looks very much fuzzy like analog TV, and poor contrast too. (But no ghost.)

But on the other hand, the 24-hour news channels, on 5-stream multiplexes, can
look very good. Some of them. Russia Today and France 24 are excellent quality,
I'd say better than the best broadcast NTSC. But other subchannels, like South
African Broadcasting Corporation or the Nigerian TV channel, are about VHS
quality. SABC seems to have visible raster lines on the screen.

My guess is that the source link, or the recorded media for the old movies or
shows, is what's causing most of the difference.