[opendtv] Live streaming

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:06:56 -0500

Yesterday Mark passed along an e-mail from a gentleman in the video streaming
business.

I posted a response challenging some of what this streaming professional said.
I left out one thing.

Flash is many things. With respect to video//audio streaming, the primary
components are the streaming protocol and the codecs that are supported. In my
response I failed to recognize an important fact. The Adobe Flash Media Live
Encoder is based on the Flash Video Streaming Service (FVSS). The server uses
one of several streaming protocols in use today. The important fact I omitted
is that it can use either the preferred Adobe Flash codec (VP-8), or h.264 with
AAC audio.

I came to this realization this morning when a video window I clicked on with
my iPad briefly flashed a message that I needed a newer Flash player, then
flashed the QuickTime logo and started playing a h.264 stream. iOS does not
block Flash per se - it does not support the VP-8 codec and many of the Flash
multimedia structures used to build a diminishing number of websites. Apple
chose to support the HTML5 standard moving forward.

So it is quite possible that the post that Mark passed along may have been
technically accurate, if the Flash live streaming encoder that the poster is
using is encoding the video as h.264. This is certainly an option.

I also did a bit of research on Flash competitors for live streaming and found
a number of interesting alternatives. It looks like Ustream is among the
industry leaders today, although I am certain there are many very good
competitors.

http://www.ustream.tv

I would imagine that Kon is well qualified to weigh in on this.