[opendtv] Re: Live streaming

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 23:21:26 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> In my response I failed to recognize an important fact. The Adobe Flash
> Media Live Encoder is based on the Flash Video Streaming Service (FVSS).
> The server uses one of several streaming protocols in use today. The
> important fact I omitted is that it can use either the preferred Adobe
> Flash codec (VP-8), or h.264 with AAC audio.

I am a firm believer that people should do their own research, or otherwise the
basic facts just don't seem to sink in. I seem to remember that most of this
was discussed more than once already, Craig.

> iOS does not block Flash per se - it does not support the VP-8 codec and
> many of the Flash multimedia structures used

Also discussed. It's not just the codec, but also the frame structures and
protocols used to control the stream.

So once again, and btw Kon already explained this to our august site VERBATIM,
if you have the proper hardware accelerators, Flash can be just as battery
friendly as HTML5. Conversely, if you don't have the proper accelerators, HTML5
can be just as much of a power hog as Jobs claimed Flash to be.

This proves that the excuses were bogus, Craig.

Okay, you read it here first. My prediction is that HTML5 might work all by
itself for a period of time, but soon enough, to support whatever new features
become desirable, plugins will emerge for HTML5 as well. (Perhaps even for
advanced DRM mechanisms? Don't know).

At which point, those who feel the need to make freely available content
unavailable to their devices, as Apple did, will drum up some other excuse why
they are going to become a royal nuisance to their user base.

And so it goes. That's exactly why I've stayed with the PC platform. They do
not have a history of playing these silly games.