[opendtv] Re: Live streaming

  • From: "Hughes, Gary" <Gary.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 17:19:23 +0000

It is not a question of AVC vs. VP-8 (or -9). Traditionally Flash players have
NOT used GPU or other hardware acceleration on ANY platform. This has been one
of the major sticking points with supporting Flash on mobile devices and one of
the reasons you don't often see Flash deployed on devices that use
video-centric SOCs (for example, most set top boxes).

Even if the essence in both formats is encoded with AVC, you will likely see a
performance difference if the HTML5 delivered version is able to use platform
specific, accelerated codecs and the Flash player is restricted to its internal
software-only decoder. The Flash version will likely consume more battery as a
result.

For a time Adobe was supporting "Embedded Flash" which was to be a variant of
the player that could use platform hardware assists. That was cancelled last
year. Coincidentally the Flash player disappeared from the Android app store.
Prior to that many Android devices, particularly those that were "Google
experience" devices, included Flash support in the Android browser (not
Chrome). No idea if there is any cause-effect relationship between those.

gary

Gary Hughes
Advanced Technology Group, ARRIS
900 Chelmsford Street, Lowell, MA 01851