[opendtv] Re: Lip sync problem resurfaces

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:23:28 +0200

Hello,

Bert Manfredi suggested:
> Jeroen, just as video enhancements are in DVD players and STBs,
> perhaps the audio selections can also be in these boxes? Just
> like you have to set the black level in the DVD player to
> accommodate your type of display, audio sync could be a similar
> menu selection?

Unfortunately we are not dealing with what might be, but only
with what is. The reality is that a gazillion DVD players with
built-in audio processing and amplification have already been
sold, and that most of them do not offer an adjustable audio
delay (for the front speakers, that is !). I have heard of
only one exception, from Denon. That one will not be cheap.

The other reality is that the outputs of source devices (like
settop boxes) will be connected to 2 destinations: the video
outputs go to the display, and the audio outputs go to the
sound system. Then the display has no control over the audio
delay, so it can only try to minimize its own video delay.

This removes some badly needed degrees of freedom from the
design of (temporal) video signal processing circuitry.  :-(

It is a silly assumption to think that all displays will have
zero latency. This was only true for the good old plain CRT.
Zero-difference sync is the easiest choice, but not the best...

Greetings,
-- Jeroen.
|------------------------------+-----------------------------------------|
| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen  | E-mail:   Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx    |
| Building: SFJ-6.22 Eindhoven | Philips Digital Systems Laboratories    |
| Phone:    ++31.40.27.32739   | P.O. Box 80002,  (Street: Glaslaan 2)   |
| Fax:      ++31.40.27.32572   | NL 5600 JB Eindhoven, the Netherlands   |
| Pager:    ++31.6.6513.3818   | Visit us: http://www.pdsl.philips.com/  |