[opendtv] Re: Lip sync problem resurfaces

  • From: "Gary Hughes" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:13:48 -0400

> From: Eory Frank-p22212 [mailto:Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxx]=20
> I think the negative delay (audio leading video) is even=20
> tighter than 30 ms. Due to the slow speed of sound relative=20
> to the speed of light, it seems that our brains are=20
> comfortable with a small amount of audio lag, since this=20
> occurs in the natural environment. But when audio leads=20
> video, even by a small amount, it is very unnatural and disturbing.

When I was working on transport splicing the goal was no worse
than -15ms/+30ms for lip synch. Much more than that and it is
detectable.=20

=20
> Require audio loop-through, so you can delay audio appropriately.
> =20
I rahter like that idea... dial in the audio delay. But wouldn't
you also need an option to delay video by a frame period for cases
where audio is already too late. Or is the assumption that the synch
problem is always caused by delays in the video chain?

gary
=20

=20
This email message and any files transmitted with it contain =
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this =
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in =
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and =
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.=20
=20