[opendtv] Re: Letter to TV Technology

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 17:20:15 -0400

Bert,

Talk about living in the past. Let it go. Actual field measurements, which I have shown you numerous times, proved there was no measurable real world difference in the fringe.

There was, however, very measurable difference in multipath performance and in angle of acceptance for the receive antenna.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

John Shutt wrote:

First of all, I wonder how long it will take for some to stop living in
the past.

The main problem with that idea is that the coverage is different for
the two schemes. Sinclair was happy to keep power levels down for COFDM,
so as not to change the FCC planning factors, but that would have meant
problems for those living in fringe areas.