[opendtv] Re: Letter to TV Technology

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:25:03 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> I know you live in your own little world, but please understand
> we were discussing what would have happened in 2001, not what
> would happen today.

Nothing would have happened differently in 2001, John. That's the sad
truth.

We have been over this many times. It was never in the broadcasters'
best interests to advertize that they had a really superb OTA system
going. So when they had the opportunity, and needed it, they (the NAB)
put no pressure on the FCC.

The FCC correctly said, in 2001, that the reception problems were going
to be resolved before too long. We saw proof of that in March 2002.

Again, it was not to broadcasters' advantage to start gearing up this
new medium. Better to continue, year after year, pretending that nothing
had changed since 1999.

I happen to use OTA, John. My little world does not merely put up with
this nuisance OTA plant for ulterior motives.