[opendtv] Re: Last Mile Broadband HD Options

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 23:06:59 +0000

TLM wrote:

> One conclusion you could draw from what you say below would be
> that with the right STB (say from Intel for example) I could
> pay my cable company to be only my broadband service provider
> (I think I pay ~$45/month for that, but as you mention there
> are other choices), with no TV channels at all, and get
> everything else off the Internet with a PVR included (instead
> of paying my cable company ~$15/month for PVR on top of the
> regular fee for my cable STB, ~$145/month all told).

Exactly!

In essence, that's what I do, except that I get broadband via Verizon ADSL.
They keep pushing me to get FiOS. If I did that, unless my wife insisted more
than I think she would, we would get the double play package - Internet access
and telephone service.

Which brings to question that ABC article Craig posted. The way I see it, ABC
is setting up a complicated structure with themselves, the affiliates, and of
course the ISPs, for Internet distribution of the locked-down MVPD content. So
my question is, what is it the affiliates offer in that picture, that Disney
can't do on its own, with its own distributed OTT servers?

Or alternatively, why couldn't Disney deal with the ISPs directly, e.g. to have
them collect the extra monthly fee from each subscriber to their ABC Internet
"cable" channels?