[opendtv] Re: Last Mile Broadband HD Options

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 22:39:16 +0000

Tom McMahon wrote:

> Hi - what are the various broadband options these days for getting
> HD over the InterNet into the Consumer Household?  Both streaming
> and download.

You are talking technology rather than service, right? Because "HD" over the
Internet is available over any of these options. Although it doesn't
necessarily compare with OTA HD.

1. Cable modems. Cable companies converted their infrastructure to two-way,
using a hybrid of fiber and coax, where the fiber part has been getting closer
and closer to individual homes. Now fiber stretches into neighborhoods.

2. xDSL. Uses fiber to various locations in the core telco network, getting
closer and closer to individual homes. The fastest version deployed in the US I
think goes to 25 Mb/s down. In principle, xDSL can extend to just beyond 50
Mb/s down, but the copper cable length becomes limited to 300 meters.

3. FiOS. It is very similar in concept to #1, but the fiber has been extended
to the outside wall of each house. And the coax part is only inside the house.
So it's hybrid fiber coax taken to the extreme, if you will.

If you get broadband from a cable TV company, they will hook you up with a
cable modem.

If you get generic broadband from a telco, you xDSL.

If you get AT&T U-verse TV service, you also get xDSL.

If you get Verizon TV, you get FiOS. You can also get FiOS without any TV
channels. Just telephone and broadband. But Verizon doesn't want to deploy that
much fiber all over the US, so they are only planning for 20 percent coverage
and are making deals with cable companies, for the rest of their customers.
Weird.

In Europe, xDSL is the most popular broadband link technology.