[opendtv] Re: It's all about Apps

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 02:04:06 -0400

On Sep 12, 2015, at 1:48 AM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Funny, because my den has been doing this for 5 years with no fuss and
bother, no hype, no splashy magazine articles, and no unique "apps." The only
"app" required is a web browser with certain plugins perhaps.

Seriously?

Who knew. All you need to do is hook up a PC that costs hundreds of dollars to
your TV...

Roku and Google must be shaking in their boots.

This was a time when "application programs" were usually called "programs"
rather than "apps."

Because they are programs, with pull down menus, mouse, keyboard, etc. all the
stuff you need on the table in the family room...

I see the words, but I sure don't see what's new here. Certainly, smart
people can fine-tune search engines, tweaking them for TV content, but to me
that's guilding the lily. What Tim Cook describes has been available for many
years. I didn't need to wait even as long as I did, to get Internet TV on the
big screen.

I think there's a line forming right outside the Microsoft store...

JPEG image