[opendtv] Re: It's all about Apps

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 05:48:21 +0000

Tim Cook reportedly said:

"Apps are the future of television. Think about it. On your mobile devices and
computers, you already use apps such as Netflix, Hulu, WatchESPN, and iTunes to
watch TV shows. And that's exactly where TV in the living room is headed."

Funny, because my den has been doing this for 5 years with no fuss and bother,
no hype, no splashy magazine articles, and no unique "apps." The only "app"
required is a web browser with certain plugins perhaps.

"Apps have liberated television."

IMO, what "liberated TV" was streaming media protocols over a neutral 2-way
Internet, Flash mainly because it was an early cross-platform solution and
could stream from web servers (i.e. a facilitator), and the willingness of the
media companies to make their content available. This was a time when
"application programs" were usually called "programs" rather than "apps."

"They allow you to make individual choices about what you want to watch. And
when and where you want to watch it. With the new Apple TV and its powerful new
tvOS, developers are creating experiences that will change what you expect from
your big screen, making your TV feel as personal as your iPhone or iPad."

I see the words, but I sure don't see what's new here. Certainly, smart people
can fine-tune search engines, tweaking them for TV content, but to me that's
guilding the lily. What Tim Cook describes has been available for many years. I
didn't need to wait even as long as I did, to get Internet TV on the big screen.

Craig wrote:

There are dozens of stories this morning about the event and the
new Apple TV that I could post or link to.

Aka, "mindless hype." Why this happens is completely beyond me.