[opendtv] Re: Information on ATSC M/H (MDTV)

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:18:28 -0800

Tom, I just can't answer at this point; I've read of and know about frame
rate, but I'm not sure that I've read anything about that in unclassified
sources, so I must be silent for the time being.

I can maintain my consistency; MDTV will not work with legacy receivers, and
even if it did, it's unlikely that consumers at home will be interested in
the perceived quality of the "common" video offered.

I can say that the whole architecture has been gone-over to make it
future-proof to the maximum extent possible.

Also, notice that I've never said anything about the status of the
document(s), nor about release dates, except to say that it "should" be out
before the end of the year.

That article mentioned a 600 kb/second data payload in a 2 mb/second
bit-budget per "parade."  This is significant, since 2 mb/second basically
means that even a single MDTV parade can't co-exist well with high-motion
MPEG-2 HDTV content, without some fancy encoding of the MPEG-2 video/audio.

John Willkie