[opendtv] Re: IPTV versus internet TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:54:39 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What I believe he did intent us to understand is that
> with the Internet model ANY content creator can establish
> direct distribution, thus bypassing the walled gardens.
> This has certainly been the case with music...

Part of my continued disinterest in these notions is that
video over the Internet, especially the non-streamed
kind, has been available for EONS. I don't remember exactly
when the first ones became available, but they were probably
when we were still using Mosaic or maybe Navigator 2.0. It
must have been around the mid 1990s, even beforer RTP was
written.

So anyone who pretends to be describing some "revolutionary"
concept here is seriously deluding himself.

Aside from all the content protection reasons, which I don't
care about much, there are real significant TECHNICAL
reasons why walled gardens for high quality TV and telephone
service over IP (note I said IP, not The Internet) make
sense. At least for the next 10 years or possibly much more
than that.

As things are now, it is very simple to set up living rooms
with PCs with large screens, to pick up video streams or
video files from the WWW. The problem is one of scale. So
anyone who describes this obvious PC in living room
scenario without addressing the scaling issues is just
missing the boat completely. Context.