[opendtv] Re: IPTV versus internet TV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:48:16 -0500

A very interesting presentation.

But I am not sure why he expects that the carefully controlled walled
gardens of the distribution channels to lose their control and yet
expects the content owners to somehow keep theirs.

Possibly illegally but most media seems to effectively enter the public
domain shortly after it is first distributed.  I'm not sure what is
going to reverse this trend.  IOW, content may remain king, but no
longer reside in a monarchy.  And thus face increasing competition from
pervasive illegal content.  This likely does not bode well for the
content cartels in a world where high quality video may be anonymously
streamed by anyone.

- Tom