[opendtv] Re: IEEE Ericsson article on use of LTE for TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 16:42:33 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Tell me this, though. I can buy a Dell PC and I can run Windows, Linux
>> of about a zillion flavors, or hell, even DOS from different companies,
>> NO PROBLEM. Can I do that with a Mac?
>
> Yes.

Heh. About as easily as running Flash on an iPad, I guess.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/2008/11/16/installing-linux-on-a-macbook-without-os-x/

This sucks, Apple. This, really, really, sucks. I was told that now the MacBook
is an open platform where you can run any OS. Well, that is still,
unfortunately, bullshit. Apple and their platforms are still not open. Sure,
when it comes to the iPhones they have blamed the carriers. I don't believe
that anymore. Help the Linux people write proper ELI drivers for your machines,
if you are serious about this. I understand you don't want OS X running on
normal PC's. You are using OS X as an argument for buying your hardware. If you
sold OS X separately your machines would be cheaper and your upgrades more
expensive, and that would probably not be good for business. But making it hard
to run OTHER things on Macs doesn't make any sense.

All in all, I can not recommend you to buy MacBooks unless you intend your main
OS to be OS X. And I can't recommend OS X to a developer. Yes, this buy was a
mistake.

I'd say, "The pot calling the kettle black" about describes it.