[opendtv] Re: Hurdles still loom as TV stations start mobile field trials

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:51:17 -0800

Huh?

You were once "so hot" for fee-based mobile video.  I recall trying to
convince you and a few others that aside from live sports, the market was
non-existent.

You pointed up mobile video in cars.  I pointed out that's a back seat
audience, and there are few cars in use with occupied back seats.

I'm still very skeptical of mobile video, and even more so of fee-based
mobile video.  I'll let you know when I hear from the first prospect in the
U.S. who inquires about "conditional access" in PSI/PSIP generation, since
that's a pre-requisite for fee-based services.  There is virtually zero U.S.
broadcaster interest in this technology at this point, by the way.

I will say, as I have in the past, that broadcasters are in the best
position to make mobile TV work.  The issue is whether one wants to give up
half their transport stream for it.  I had a good laugh about the A-VSB
system providing 6 mobile channels.  (and, with the other half of the
transport stream, or is it the other 1/4, we'll offer ....")

Very funny speculation about the rights needing to be renegotiated, folks.
That comes down to contract language, and I 'spec that the buyers (networks)
had a better understanding of the realities when the language was negotiated
than did the rights holders.  I suspect that they didn't constrain their
rights to just one form of digital modulation.   Seems to me that all the
systems being tested travel over 8-VSB, instead of supplanting it.

John Willkie