[opendtv] Re: Hurdles still loom as TV stations start mobile field trials

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:53:54 -0500

At 10:13 AM -0500 1/14/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
While technical evaluations get under way, business negotiations are not
yet on the horizon. A group of Hollywood studio executives queried at
CES generally agreed that broadcasters lack the rights in their existing
contracts to send their content to mobile devices.

"I would bet in most cases there will need to be separate negotiations,"
said Tom Lesinski, president of Paramount Pictures Digital
Entertainment.

Albert Cheng, executive vice president of digital media for the
Disney-ABC Television Group, agreed that local TV stations do not have
mobile broadcasting rights. Dan Fawcett, president of digital media for
Fox Entertainment, said he was not sure.

So broadcasters do not have the right to send content to TV receivers that use antennas and run off of a battery?

I wonder when Hollywood and the sports franchises are going to ask the broadcasters for compensation for all the Sony Watchmans, and TVs that are mounted in vehicles, especially for tailgate parties?

Good thing that broadcast TV is a "relatively free market..."

I'm sure the broadcasters can get the FCC to tell Hollywood that it is ok to serve wireless devices...

Scheeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz!