[opendtv] Re: Hurdles still loom as TV stations start mobile field trials

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:36:30 -0500

At 3:33 PM -0500 1/14/08, John Shutt wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

So broadcasters do not have the right to send content to TV receivers that use antennas and run off of a battery?

If broadcasters charge a subscription fee for the content, then Hollywood will want a cut. If broadcasters do it a no charge, then Hollywood will get a cut of nothing.

Frankly it doesn't sound too unfair to me. Even the FCC wants a cut if a broadcaster charges for content.

John

I agree with this John. In fact I sent a message a few days ago that said the same thing.

So I guess that we need to read between the lines of the story and say that it looks like broadcasters want to offer a fee based mobile service. If that is the case they will fail miserably.