[opendtv] Re: Hello post-PC world: iOS devices sales now match those of Windows computers | ZDNet

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 21:38:46 -0400

On Jul 27, 2015, at 5:15 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No oxymoron. New data show that the limited-use tablets, the ones like iPads,
are dropping off in sales, much more than PCs are. Like, more than twice as
much, as percentage year to year. But you have to look at new data, not rely
on your three year old numbers.

Unfortunately you are wrong. Measuring percentage drops is meaningless without
context. Microsoft is enjoying huge YoY percentage gains with Surface, while
iPad sales are declining YOY. But Apple is still selling more iPads in one
quarter than the total number of Surface tablets Microsoft has sold since 2012.

PC sales continue to decline. The tablet market is still growing, albeit not as
fast as it was a year or two ago.

PC drop in sales is greater Bert.

iPad and Samsung tablet sales? Numbers.

I gave you the numbers. But here are some recent data points.

Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.7 million units in the first quarter of
2015, a 5.2 percent decline from the first quarter of 2014, according to
preliminary results by Gartner, Inc.

And

Following several years of huge tablet growth, IDC now expects tablet sales
to increase in the single digits for the next five years, following 4.4
percent growth in 2014 and 52.5 percent growth in 2013. In a sign of eroding
demand, tablets posted their first-ever shipment decline in the fourth
quarter of last year.

There are a huge number of people in the U.S. With both smartphones
and tablets.

And they are quick to buy the new, bigger smartphone, but not the new tablet.
For one thing, the smartphone is something they carry around all the time.
Not only do they look at *it* constantly, but they also show everyone around
them how cool they are. It's a fashion accessory. The tablet is none of those
things.

Irrelevant. The links I provided in this thread explain why tablets are not
being replaced as frequently.

Take another look at this link:

http://www.exacttarget.com/sites/exacttarget/files/deliverables/etmc-2014mobilebehaviorreport.pdf

Look at the detailed usage stats for smartphones and tablets by age and income.

Total time per day is comparable except for 18-24 year olds where phone time is
significantly greater, which does parallel your fashion and coolness factors.

You're just waving your arms, Craig. I can tell you that my wife certainly
uses her new smartphone more now, and her Amazon tablet less, even to read
books. That's neither here nor there. My guess is that tablets are getting
used less, and it's at least as credible as any guess you can come up with.
Until you have real data, you are just waving your arms.

I gave you a link to a detailed analysis, not a guess.

Clearly usage patterns vary. If your job involves sitting in front of a PC you
will likely use it more. Phones are typically kept in our clothes or a purse -
I would expect them to be accessed frequently. But tablets are better for some
types of consumption and work. My tablet hours far exceed my smartphone hours,
but my tablet is now a substitute for a laptop.

I provided you with plenty of good evidence. You choose to ignore it.

You provided only an article from 2012. I make it a point to ignore anything
that old, when it comes to describing current day behavior. So yes, I chose
to ignore your outdated article.

The link above is analyzing 2014 behavior. The Guardian link was February 2015.
The Smart a Marketing link looks at 2015 and was published last week.

Looks like you just ignored looking at these links.