[opendtv] Hardware based and PC card based encoding solutions

  • From: "Prashant Desai" <prashant.desai@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 23:31:23 +0530

I was testing couple of hardware based encoders and few PC card based
encoding solutions ,

Now , after testing if I think ,  then I feel a  bit  strange situation.

Capture Cards and Software based Encoding Solutions for  are readily
available for a few hundreds or few thousands of dollars.

I have personally seen the quality of the video, and considering the
investment,  I believe that it a very fair bargain compared to the high cost
encoders like Harmonic , Nextstream , tendburg etc ...

Can any one help me to precisely understand  why Hardware based Encoders
such as HArmonic  etc have an advantage over such PC card based solutions ?

Regards,

Prashant