[opendtv] Re: Google TV Gets A Cool Welcome

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:12:55 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You do not access the content through the Google site. You go
> directly to the conglom site:

If I can go directly to the conglom site, then I don't need to ever have to
rely on any Google gatekeeper. That's the way it should be. But if devices ONLY
allow me to reach the conglom site through a Google gatekeeper, obviously
Google becomes the gatekeeper bottelneck. You may still be missing the
significance of the fact that Google is negotiating these agreements with the
congloms for a reason, and that these new Internet TVs are only allowing access
via a very small number of these gatekeepers, if not just one.

By the way, the French counterpart of Julius Genachowski also alludes to this,
in a recent speech he gave on digital and Internet TV topics:

http://www.csa.fr/actualite/interventions/interventions_detail.php?id=132020

"Demain, des plateformes comme Google TV orienteront le choix du
téléspectateur."

> You are wrong. If I want to view content from Hulu.com on this
> Powerbook there is no problem; I go to Hulu and watch.

And if a conglom wants to block access to its stuff from the Hulu web site,
according to you, that would make the conglom a gatekeeper? Nonsense. The
gatekeeper in this case would still be Hulu.

> The congloms do not want you to be able to watch this content on your TV;
> they are forcing Google et all to create portals in order to create
> contractual agreements to access their content so that you can PAY for
> the same content you can watch on a PC for free.

I copied an article that explained EXACTLY what the problem was, Craig. The
problem was, the Fox.com full episodes do not make any revenue to speak of.
They are intended, by Fox, only as catch-up TV, for uncomfortable viewing by
individuals, sitting upright. Google was putting these on their gatekeeper web
site, 30 second ad breaks and all, intended to go to big living room TV sets.
Fox says hey, I transmit this stuff OTA or over MVPDs, intended for comfy TV
viewing, with long ad breaks, that make me the revenue I need. I won't let you
middleman sites thwart my intentions.

It's entirely their right, Craig.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, the problem is the CE manufacturers. Just allow
me to go to any site I choose. No doubt, the congloms will react by updating
their own fox.com or nbc.com web sites, and that's fine. Meanwhile, I won't
have a set that will become mostly useless in short order.

And in all of this, your assertion that the congloms are the gatekeepers
continues to be a non sequitur.