[opendtv] Re: News: The death of Cable TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:22:07 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> "In-Stat suggests if the next generation of Google TV devices
>> includes an ATSC tuner and digital recording capabilities, 'that
>> solves the blocking problem.'"

> This paragraph says exactly what I said. The ATSC tuner is
> mandated by law; it is already there.

Read it a third time, then. Did you catch the "if" this time?

> But you left out the object lesson Bert.

> Despite the fact that most consumers had an ATSC tuner, they
> chose NOT to use them.

Yes, you're right here. I had taken another object lesson from that event.
Which is, just because you have broadband access, don't expect that the
congloms can't block content from that umbillical too. However, they cannot do
this to the OTA signal. The other thing is, as I mentioned previously, the
residents of those NYC apartment buildings should be demanding access to OTA
signals that they once had. It's not easy to get OTA inside high rise buildings
when your apartment is facing the "wrong" way.

> There IS NO Google box Bert. Google TV is a hardware/software
> platform that is integrated in the TV, just like an ATSC tuner.

What do you call a TV that can only access Internet TV via the Google
gatekeeper site, Craig?