[opendtv] Re: Google TV Gets A Cool Welcome

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:59:38 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> If the congloms did not block their content to devices like Google TV,
> who would be the gatekeeper?

Google TV is the gatekeeper regardless of what content made available through
that site might be blocked or not blocked.

> So the gatekeeper here must be the congloms...

Clearly not. The congloms have their own web sites, which these new Internet
TVs are not providing among their single or few options. But there is no
indication whatever that, for example, NBC.com is trying to become the portal
for all of your Internet TV options. So it makes no sense at all to claim that
the congloms are, or are trying to become, gatekeepers.

I think Kon said it right, when he said that for the time being, these over the
top sites are only set up as augmentation of the broadcast distribution methods
(MVPDs and OTA). In the future, though, if Internet delivered TV becomes the
main course, I suggest that reading this Internet Draft will give you a clue as
to where the ISPs are heading, totally aside from any of these gatekeeper web
sites. You only need to read the intro section to get the gist.

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req/

Explain to me how this business model is different from the MVPD model.