[opendtv] Re: Freesat: 'Final piece in the digital jigsaw'

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 20:04:49 +0100

I seriously doubt it will make any difference at all to existing OTA viewers.
Anyone who seriously wants satellite services has already got them through Sky,
and Freeview (OTA terrestrial) is still growing faster than Sky by quite a lot.
There's a large portion of the UK populace that will not by from Murdoch at any
price, and they're served by analogue and Freeview, now they have a chance to
get more services and HD via satellite, I suspect many will. Current
predictions are for 7% of UK households to have HD reception by 2010, that's
less than Sky's existing penetration and the growth is expected to be on
Freesat.

OTA HD is limited by available rf space, which cannot be released until
analogue switch-off, which started this year and is expected to complete in
2012 or thereabouts. Even then, little of the rele4ased bandwidth is being
offered for HD, only 1 multiplex as far as I can tell. The future of HD in the
UK is in Freesat, expect it to grow very quickly.

Alan