[opendtv] Re: Freesat: 'Final piece in the digital jigsaw'

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 18:22:40 -0400

Is there any version of satellite that works well with mobile phones and such portable devices?

- Tom

Bob Miller wrote:
Do you think though that satellite competition will direct OTA more toward mobile/portable reception in the UK? My argument has been that terrestrial OTA is best suited in a competitive market to mobile or easy ubiquitous reception mobile or portable (but not primarily to cell phone size screens). I believe this will be the case in the US with current broadcasters and such as Qualcomm, Dish and possibly AT&T on auctioned spectrum.

Bob Miller

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Alan Roberts <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Because there is still a major tide swell against satellite dishes
    in the UK, and cable is a very minor part of the broadcast
    environment. In my village (about 200 house over a square mile or
    so) I have seen not a single satellite dish. That will soon change,
    because I'll be getting Freesat as soon as PVRs come on the market.
    The UK is not like the US, we are different. OTA broadcast will
    remain a major force for way beyond the foreseeable future.

    Alan Roberts

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E"
    <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>>