[opendtv] Re: Flash Gone from Android

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:51:37 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> No shenanigans here, just common sense.
>
> Apple was right about Flash on mobile devices - it is a power
> hog that severely cuts into battery run times.

Come now, Craig. We have been over this in detail already, and what you say
here is naïve.

Flash is just fine, if you provide accelerators in hardware for it. Conversely,
HTML5 is a power hog, if you do not.

I remember that announcement by Adobe, but I read it as accepting that Apple
had shut them out. It hardly meant that Flash would have to be deleted from the
devices that already support it.

For Apple to have taken that tack, it was easily understandable. This would
mean that Apple handheld devices would be unable to make use of the huge
assortment of Flash content out there, and would have to rely more on Apple's
own content caches. Again, it's a closed ecosystem, as much as they can get
away with. (Watch them glom on to something else once HTML5 becomes
commonplace.)

I can't understand what dog Google has in this particular fight, though. But
again, it's just the kind of shenanigans you can expect, when too much
influence is applied by too few. Google has essentially learned to play Apple's
game. But we, as consumers, should NOT let them get away with it. If the
congloms also don't want them to get away with it, why should I be surprised?

FWIW, since I used online TV content a whole lot these days, I can tell you,
Craig, that it's pretty much all gone to Flash. Not saying that this is the end
of the road, though. All I'm saying is that even if, in the past, there was a
lot of WMP or Quicktime or Real, or others, as of now, everyone seems to be
using Flash. For anyone who actually browses the web for TV content, this has
to be impossible to miss.