[opendtv] Re: Flash Gone from Android

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:09:04 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

 So our streaming to Droid phones went kaput.  It appears that Google
 has shut Flash down from their Android devices.  I'm not sure what
 this means for GoogleTV.  I can hear Bert saying, "I told you so"
 already!

Yes, I do say that, but I'm also wondering why they did so. What are they pushing instead of Flash?

Anyway, as you surmised, these are the shenanigans we can expect.

No shenanigans here, just common sense.

Apple was right about Flash on mobile devices - it is a power hog that severely cuts into battery run times.

Apparently Adobe finally figured this out last November:

http://www.techspot.com/news/46192-adobe-stops-mobile-flash-development-will-focus-on-html5.html

Adobe stops mobile Flash development, will focus on HTML5

By Jose Vilches
November 9, 2011, 12:08 PM EST

In a rather unexpected move, Adobe has told developers that it no longer plans to develop future versions of its Flash Player for mobile browsers, and will instead focus on HTML5 and other web technologies. ZDNet broke the news earlier today but it has since been confirmed in an official blog post at Adobe's website. The last version of Flash Player for mobile devices will be 11.1, which is due out soon for the BlackBerry PlayBook and Android devices.

The company had long touted the benefits of Flash over HTML5 but not everyone agreed -- most notably Steve Jobs, who maintained that Flash media streaming technology isn't suited for use on low-power mobile devices. Following Apple's decision to leave Flash out of their popular iPhone and iPad devices, web developers quickly started moving away from Flash to HTML5 -- or at least ensuring support for HTML5 alongside Flash.

To the best of my knowledge, all current (non-mobile) browsers including Chrome and Apple's Safari will continue to support Flash player.

But HTML5 is where everyone is now headed.