[opendtv] Re: FCC rules for cable after the OTA TV digital transition

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:49:49 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Ah yes, another stretching of logic, like the time years ago when you
said that the FCC was not mandating any sort of OTA broadcasting after
analog shutoff. Remember that?

I said no such thing, Bert. I said that the FCC was not mandating any sort of FREE TO AIR broadcasting after the analog shutoff. I said so based on the rule that said:

   (b) At any time that a DTV broadcast station
   permittee or licensee transmits a video program
   signal on its analog television channel, it must
   also transmit at least one over-the-air video
   program signal at no direct charge to viewers
   on the DTV channel that is licensed to the
   analog channel,

And the FCC subesquently amended that rule (no doubt due solely in response to my OpenDTV posting) to specifically mandate at least one channel be broadcast in the clear after simulcasting ended. Then they subesquently recinded the simulcasting rule altogether.

Remenber that?