[opendtv] Re: FCC rules for cable after the OTA TV digital transition

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:56:36 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

I basically agree with the sentiment, but I think you missed the point.
Adelstein is saying that if these small cable companies don't have the
full UHF spectrum in their cable systems, simulcasting analog and
digital could be seen as a "burden." It reduces their other
revenue-making transmissions, in principle. And yet simulcasting is the
only reasonable alternative for them, because they don't have the funds
to distribute digital STBs to all their analog subscribers.

I didn't see anywhere in the admittedly brief press release where the FCC mandated digital carriage of anything. There was no mandatory simulcasting of analog and digital in the order, hence no burden. If the cable operator chooses to carry the digital, that's their prerogative, and if they do then they are required to not degrade the digital quality beyond what they do to other digital channels.

Quote:

   The FCC's ruling today allows cable operators
   to comply with the viewability requirement by
   choosing to either: (1) carry the digital signal in
   analog format, or (2) carry the signal only in
   digital format, provided that all subscribers have
   the necessary equipment to view the broadcast
   content.

So if is a cable system that requires every subscriber to have a digital STB, then they can carry the primary in digital. Otherwise, if even one subscriber receives just an analog lifeline basic tier service, then the cable system must carry the primary of all broadcasters in analog. Simple, and no mandatory simulcasting of both analog and digital.

John