[opendtv] Re: FCC rules for cable after the OTA TV digital transition

  • From: Frank Eory <frank.eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:55:20 -0700

John Shutt wrote:
Why would the FCC care if cable systems ever go digital? That's purely a business decision for the cable systems, not any mandate from the government.
Yes, it's purely a business decision and cable is headed toward all-digital anyway, for market-driven reasons. My point was that it seems strange that here we have the FCC forcing broadcasters to go all-digital whether they want to or not, and at the same time interfering with cable's voluntary migration to all-digital. I predicted a long time ago that cable would be the last bastion of NTSC broadcasting, but I didn't expect the FCC to issue an order that mandates this outcome.

The MSOs would have to foot that bill regardless. If an MSO is anxious to ditch analog, they have to provide their customers with something to view programming with.
Funny, the broadcasters don't have to foot the bill for all the new receivers when they "ditch analog," and the government isn't footing the bill, although they are offsetting the pain with those STB coupons. But again, the broadcasters are being coerced to do this by the government, whereas cable is doing it voluntarily.

Of course MSOs need to provide their customers with a way to view programming, and I'm sure they're not anxious to anger their subscribers and push them toward satellite. But so far digital cable subs have been voluntarily paying more for digital cable, at least in the form of STB rental charges, because digital offers something they want, for which they're willing to pay extra. Many MSOs are now in a transitional phase where the extended basic tier is offered in both NTSC and QAM form, and are deploying STBs that only have QAM tuners to their new digital subs. Eliminating the NTSC tuner eliminates cost. Keeping the CA embedded eliminates cost.

With some of the low-cost 'cable adapter' boxes that have come out in recent years, some MSOs may have been contemplating a giveaway of these adapters, to enable them to eliminate NTSC simulcast once and for all. At some level of digital cable penetration, the economics of recovering NTSC channels on the cable plant vs. the cost of giving away cheap 'cable adapter' boxes to the analog die-hards just make sense and the all-digital cable transition can be completed. The earlier FCC order banning embedded CA prolongs that transition by significantly increasing the MSOs receiver costs, and now this new order further restricts the MSOs' freedom to pursue their digital transition in their own way.

in the long run requiring CableCards would reduce the number of STBs the MSO would have to maintain, not increase the number. Which costs more, a CA card or a Digital STB?
Cable subs have so far not shown great enthusiasm for CableCards. As for your question, I have a hunch that the cost of a CableCard and the cost of a cheap digital cable adapter (low-end STB) are not much different. By the time you add in the support burden on the MSO of dealing with multiple makes & models of CableCard-ready DTV sets and retail STBs running different software stacks, etc., I suspect that the CableCard ends up being much more costly for the MSO than the low-end STB owned and maintained by the MSO.

I realize I'm mostly complaining about the earlier ruling here, but this latest one just seems to add insult to injury by basically mandating that MSOs cannot leave their analog subs high and dry after February 2009 -- as if an MSO would want to do that to his customers anyway.

I'm also anxious to see the final order and to understand what this means for broadcasters that opted for must-carry vs. those with retrans consent agreements.

-- Frank