[opendtv] Re: FCC on HD Radio

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 19:19:23 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> After Motorola, Harris, and Magnavox duked it out in the marketplace for a
> while,
> the Motorola C-QUAM system was the winner by default, and was specified by the
> FCC in 1993 as the only allowable AM Stereo system.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_stereo

Thanks, John. I had probably lost interest by then. I wonder if it's true that
HD Radios also support C-QUAM, as that article claims.

Fact remains, that "market decide" model, in an unwalled garden, doesn't work
very well, unless there's a standards organization that has clout. So far, the
IETF seems to have that clout, for whatever reasons, within the IP arena. But
it seems that the Genachowski FCC are not taking that for granted, hence all
their worries about "net neutrality."

Also as an aside, those who support "let the market decide" should have no
problems with Commissioner Baker's new job at Comcast. After all, she was one
of the two commissioners who advocated just that. Let the ISPs decide, because
we have no problem now.