[opendtv] Re: Europe now debates i vs p

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:25:50 +0100

By the way, just so that you know, the debate in Europe actually hasn't
started yet. What you're reading about is the results of an experiment that
I started before I retired, but which has shot off sideawys without me. I
wanted to repeat early work that measured the colouyr resolution of the eye.
Problem was that the early experiemnt was done using filters in linear
light, but we apply filters in log light, so the answers ]ought to be
different. I defined the experiment and got it started before I went off to
do other things.

The report on the work has ignored all colour aspects, and simply measured
luminance acuity, and come to tghe same conclusion that everyone else does,
1 minute of arc. The problem is that, for reasons that I won't go in to
here, the work has been used to justify some dubious claims about bandwidth,
compression and displays. I'me very happy that my name has been taken off
that work, I don't want to be associated with it publicly.

The document is a BBC R&D publication, aimed squarely at supporting the TQE
group. The TQE group is not the EBU, it is a small part of it. Phil Laven,
at IBC, clearly said that the document and the drive for 720p is not an EBU
statement, it is a reporting of work in  progress. Decisions will be taken
later (!) by much more international groups.

Don't read too much into this work, John Ive of Sony had a lot to say about
it :-)