[opendtv] Re: Europe now debates i vs p

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:15:50 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

> If there's anything I can glean from the US HDTV
> transition, it is that the i vs p debate was and
> continues to be completely pointless, as long as
> both options are accommodated. Much ado about
> nothing, yet it goes on still.

No, that is exactly the wrong point. Interlace is
intrinsically inferior, and should not be used as
an origination or transmission format. The only
"accomodation" should be at the very tail end, as
an interim actual display format.

The FCC should officially remove 1080@60i from
the list of transmission formats and also require that
after a certain date it could not be used as an
origination for mat for new material.

I've been measuring ... actual MEASUREMENT ... in my
own home the frequency content of HDTV transmissions.
The amount of significant information I have seen
in the range beyond 1280 pixels across the screen
is very very small ... consisting entirely of a few
shots of the in-focus background set on Leno. Last night
on football there was significant content well above 30 HMz
in in luma channel .. and this with an STB that has an
analog rolloff 3 dB point at 18 MHz (9 nsec risetime).

This calls up a question for you folks. Are STBs supposed to
have an analog cutoff that low?

Doug McDonald