[opendtv] Re: EE Times: Transcoding offers migration path to IP

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:47:38 -0500

At 9:46 PM +0000 3/14/13, Tom McMahon wrote:
How about if I could squash all of my CSIs and Two and a Half Mens and Iron Chefs into my personal cloud for less than $49.95 a month with full PVR style interaction?

Might work if you service provider could ALSO provide live streaming of ESPN and other channels/live events. But then the price would likely be as much or more than what you pay for a cable/DBS subscription.

And it is highly unlikely that this content would reside in your "personal cloud" like your photos and contacts. Too many copies to maintain. Existing services typically stream from a few masters, with massaging to create streams appropriate for the target device. Remote PVRs have been offered, but the topology is too expensive for mass deployment.

This is a major reason why access to "the good stuff" requires you to prove you have an MVPD subscription.