[opendtv] Re: EE Times: Transcoding offers migration path to IP

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 22:38:23 +0000

Tom McMahon wrote:

> How about if I could squash all of my CSIs and Two and a
> Half Mens and Iron Chefs into my personal cloud for less than
> $49.95 a month with full PVR style interaction?

They vary as to how many episodes they provide online at any given time, but
all of the TV networks offer multiple weeks' worth of shows. The playback is
not quite as good as what a home PVR provides, for searching back and forth,
but not too bad. One big problem is those pesky ads they feel compelled to
shove in your face when you try fast forward or reverse.

CBS is pretty fair about it, though. If you go backwards beyond an ad break,
then start playing from there, you will skip the ads on that break the second
time around. Not all networks are that fair about this issue. Fox seems to be
the most annoying in this, wasting all sorts of time playing the same old ads
over and over. (Sometimes I wish their executives would sit down and use their
service, juts to see how aggravating it can become.)

I have a very nice OTA PVR, but I can tell you, ever since installing the PC in
my system, it gets used seldom. The last time I used it was for the opening
ceremonies of the summer Olympics, to give you an idea, because NBC was not
offering that online.

So, PVR style interaction, minus that $50 fee you postulated, is essentially
there already.

Also, I know that Windows Media Center provides an OTA PVR function, but I
don't think it can be programmed to record TV shows streamed from the Internet.
At least, not without some personal hacking. But to be clear, you do *not* need
Windows Media Center at all, for watching online TV as I do. I know some of the
literature implies you do.